If you're looking for a picturesque destination to explore, Lakes Entrance in Victoria is definitely worth a visit!
Our lovely town is situated on the edge of Ninety Mile Beach and is surrounded by the beautiful Gippsland Lakes.
Here's a 5 day touring itinerary, which you can pick and choose from for your length of stay, to help you make the most of your time in the area:
Day 1 - Lakes Entrance:
- Start your day with a walk or bike ride along the Lakes Entrance foreshore and take in the stunning views of the water and the town and grab a coffee at one of our local favourite spots.
- Visit Griffiths Sea Shell Museum and Marine Display which is home to an extensive collection of shells from around the world.
- For lunch, visit the Lakes Entrance Fisherman's Co-Op and sample some of the fresh seafood caught in the local waters.
- In the afternoon, take a cruise on the Gippsland Lakes and see the local wildlife including dolphins and pelicans.
- End your day with a delicious seafood dinner at one of the many restaurants in town.
Day 2 - Buchan Caves, Colquhoun State Forest and Metung:
- Explore the Buchan Caves which are located about 45 minutes from Lakes Entrance. The caves are a natural wonder and are home to some of the most spectacular limestone formations in Australia.
- Take a scenic return drive through the East Gippsland countryside and stop at some of the many small towns and villages along the way.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch to the Colquhoun State Forest and enjoy a hike, or mountain bike through the beautiful bushland.
- Or, alternatively, continue onto the nearby town of Metung and enjoy lunch at one of the many cafes or restaurants overlooking the water.
Day 3 - Food & Wine
- Start the day with a sunrise over the Ninety Mile Beach, one of the longest uninterrupted beaches in the world.
- Visit local wineries and taste some of the best wines in the region - we recommend lunch at Wyanga Park Winery, which you can combine with a cruise.
- Learn about the local farming industry by visiting the farms and orchards.
- In the evening, head to one of the many restaurants in Lakes Entrance and enjoy some fresh local produce.
Day 4: Paynesville & Raymond Island
- Visit Paynesville, a charming town located on the Gippsland Lakes where you can take a stroll along the esplanade or hire a boat and explore the waterways.
- While in Paynesville, take the small ferry to visit Raymond Island for koala spotting opportunities - leave your car on the mainland, and go across as a pedestrian on the ferry (it's free!).
- On your return, you could include a visit to the Adventure Fun Park near Bairnsdale or the Nicholson River Winery.
- Try the Lakes Entrance Bowls Club for a friendly local atmosphere and good value, quality meals.
Day 5: Adventure Day
- Take a unique local tour by segway with Lakes Entrance Segway Adventures.
- Go on a kayaking, SUP or mountain biking adventure with Venture Out Hire and Tours.
- Try your hand at fishing or crabbing which is a popular activity in Lake Entrance.
- Bring your bike and enjoy the great outdoors, from a great family trail to the epic East Gippsland Rail Trail.
- Visit the Lakes Entrance Golf Club for a round of golf.
These are just a few ideas for your 2, 3, 4 or 5 day touring itinerary around Lakes Entrance, VIC. With so much to see and do, you'll never be bored!